Friday, May 18, 2012

Rainbow Cake Pops


I have a friend who wanted rainbow themed cake pops for a party. I was up for the challenge and got my inspiration from these two blog sites: Brooke McClay's Rainbow Cake Pops on Babble and Sue's Munchkin Munchies Blog. I wanted to surprise people with a rainbow cake center than just an outer rainbow design. I had a lot of fun making these pops.


I took two boxes of vanilla cake mix and tried to divide them evenly the best I could into six bowls. Then I added food coloring to each bowl. They turned out a bit lighter than I wanted. Then I baked them in cupcake form.


After they cooled I put the cupcakes in a bowl and broke them up till they were crumbs. Then I mixed the frosting in to bind them together. I had to guess the right amount. Too much frosting and they'll end up mushy and will fall off the stick. Too little and the cake will not stick together.


I placed them in a cake pan and layered them so they had the rainbow pattern. Then I placed it in the refrigerator overnight to firm up. They are a lot easier to roll up in balls when they are right out the the refrigerator.


Here they are after I rolled them into cake balls. It came out real nice with a tie-dye effect. Then I proceeded to dip the sticks in some chocolate and placed them in each cake ball. Then I placed them in the refrigerator for just a few minutes and then took them out while I had my candy melts in my Babycakes Chocolatier getting melted. When the chocolate was just the right consistency I proceeded to dip. NOTE: I alway have issues with my candy melts getting too thick so I always add a tablespoon of melted shortening.



I was also able to find a rainbow mixture of M&M's at a candy store in the Los Cerritos Mall. This candy store is one of the best places to find what I need to decorate my cake pops. I originally wanted to use the M&M's to make a rainbow design but they were a little too big and looked funny. So I decided to use them around the pop. I piped a little bit of chocolate to use as a glue when I added the M&M's and voila!



Other cake pops that I've recently made...



These are Hawaiian themed cake pops made out of red velvet cake. I tried my best to pipe hibiscus flowers on the white ones.


These were a huge hit! My famous Minnie and Mickey Mouse silouhette cake pops. Also made with the rainbow cake center. Too pretty to eat!

0 comments:

Post a Comment